The Indian Premier League (IPL) 2022 will be held from March 26, with the final to be played on May 29. This will be the 15th edition of the T20 league. The group stage matches of the tournament will be played entirely in Maharashtra, across four venues in Mumbai and Pune. With the addition of two franchises, 10 teams will be taking part in this year’s event.
The ten teams are divided into two groups of five. In the group stage, each side will play twice against the teams in their group and against the team in the same row in the other group. Against the remaining four teams in the other group, each side will play only once. Earlier, the IPL auction was held, and many players got picked up by new franchises. In the wake of the same, we look at 10 players who have played for five for more franchises.
1. Aaron Finch (8 teams): Australia white-ball captain Aaron Finch has represented as many as 8 IPL teams. He was picked by Rajasthan Royals in 2010, then turned out for Delhi Daredevils (now Capitals) for two years. Subsequently, Finch was also picked up by Pune Warriors India, Sunrisers Hyderabad. Mumbai Indians, Kings XI Punjab, Gujarat Lions. He represented Royal Challengers Bangalore in 2020. He has gone unsold in the last two seasons. Finch has 2005 runs from 87 IPL games.
2. Thisara Perera (6 teams): Sri Lanka all-rounder Thisara Perera has played for six IPL teams. Perera started his IPL career with Chennai Super Kings (CSK) in 2010. After that, he went on to play for the Kochi Tuskers Kerala, Mumbai Indians, Sunrisers Hyderabad, Kings XI Punjab, and Rising Pune Supergiants as well. Perera played 37 IPL games from 2010 to 2016, scoring 422 runs and claiming 31 wickets.
3. Parthiv Patel (6 teams): Former India keeper-batter Parthiv Patel has also represented six franchises. He began his career for Chennai Super Kings and tasted a lot of success. After that, he moved to Kochi Tuskers Kerala, Deccan Chargers, Sunrisers Hyderabad, Mumbai Indians, and Royal Challengers Bangalore. He ended his IPL career with 2,848 runs from 139 matches.
4. Ishant Sharma (6 teams): The experienced Indian pacer also played for 6 IPL franchises. He started his IPL journey with the Kolkata Knight Riders under Sourav Ganguly. After that, he played for Deccan Chargers, Sunrisers Hyderabad, Rising Pune Supergiants, and Punjab Kings. He was with Delhi Capitals during the IPL 2021 season before going unsold at the mega auction.
5. Irfan Pathan (6 teams): Former India all-rounder Irfan Pathan also played for six IPL franchises during his career. He started with Kings XI Punjab (now Punjab Kings) in 2008. After that, he represented Delhi Daredevils, Sunrisers Hyderabad, Chennai Super Kings, Rising Pune Supergiant, and the Gujarat Lions. The 37-year-old played 103 IPL games in all, scoring 1139 runs and picking up 80 wickets.
6. Yuvraj Singh (6 teams): Another former India all-rounder, Yuvraj Singh, also represented 6 IPL teams. He began his career as captain of the Punjab franchise. Later, he turned out for the Pune Warriors, Royal Challengers Bangalore, Delhi Daredevils, Sunrisers Hyderabad, and Mumbai Indians as well. In a long IPL career from 2008 to 2019, Yuvraj played 132 matches and scored 2,750 runs apart from claiming 36 wickets.
7. Dinesh Karthik (6 teams): Veteran wicketkeeper-batter Dinesh Karthik has also played for six IPL teams so far. Karthik began his IPL career with Delhi Daredevils (now Delhi Capitals). He then went on to represent the Punjab franchise and also turned out Mumbai Indians, Royal Challengers Bangalore, Gujarat Lions. From 2018 to 2021, he was with Kolkata Knight Riders and even led the team before handing over the reins to Eoin Morgan. Karthik will be back with RCB for IPL 2022, having been purchased by the franchise at the mega auction. The veteran cricketer has 4046 runs from 213 matches at a strike rate of 129.72.
8. Robin Uthappa (6 teams): Robin Uthappa is a veteran of the IPL. He has played for Mumbai Indians, Royal Challengers Bangalore, Pune Warriors India, Kolkata Knight Riders, with whom he won the trophy, and Rajasthan Royals as well. Uthappa was a surprise pick of CSK in 2021. However, with Suresh Raina struggling for form and fitness, he came towards the business end of the tournament and made a massive impact in Chennai’s win. As a result, Uthappa joined a select list of players who have won the IPL while representing more than one franchise. In an IPL career that has lasted 193 matches, the 36-year-old has smashed 4722 runs at a strike rate of 130.15 with 25 half-centuries. Given the wealth of experience, it was no surprise that CSK picked him up again during the IPL 2022 mega auction.
9. Brendon McCullum (5 teams): Former New Zealand captain Brendon McCullum will forever be remembered for his sensational century in the first-ever IPL match between KKR and RCB. Turning out for KKR, he played some memorable knocks. Later, he also represented Kochi Tuskers Kerala, Gujarat Lions, Chennai Super Kings, and Royal Challengers Bangalore. The Kiwi great ended his IPL career with 2880 runs in 109 matches at a strike rate of 131.7 with two hundreds to his name.
10. Ashish Nehra (5 teams): Former India left-arm seamer Ashish Nehra has also represented five teams in the T20 league. Nehra began his career with Delhi Daredevils and went on to play for Mumbai Indians, Pune Warriors, Chennai Super Kings, and even Sunrisers Hyderabad. He had some memorable moments with MS Dhoni at CSK. Nehra played the IPL from 2008 to 2017. He picked up 106 wickets in 88 matches at an average of 23.54 and a strike rate of 18. Nehra had a best of 4 for 10 in the IPL.