The Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) will meet the Chennai Super Kings (CSK) in game 46 of the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2022 at the Maharashtra Cricket Association (MCA) Stadium in Pune on Sunday. This will be the second match of the double-header. Ahead of the match, it was announced that Ravindra Jadeja has decided to hand back CSK’s captaincy to MS Dhoni. Will it impact CSK’s fortunes, who have two wins from eight matches? Their opponents on Sunday, SRH, have five wins and three losses in their kitty. SRH’s five-match winning streak was ended by the Gujarat Titans (GT), who pulled off a last-ball win against them. Chennai lost to Punjab Kings (PBKS) by 11 runs in their last match. Their bowling was poor and only Ambati Rayudu shone with the bat. Here are five player battles in SRH vs CSK clash, mostly SRH bowlers vs CSK batters.
1. Abhishek Sharma vs Mukesh Choudhary: Even as Kane Williamson has struggled for consistency, young SRH opener Abhishek Sharma has been in fine form. In four of his last five innings, he has registered scores of 42, 31, 47 and 65. He has been elegant and has scored freely. Having hit form, Sharma will be keen to carry on with the good run. On the other hand, Mukesh Choudhary will be confident after claiming 3 for 19 a couple of matches back. In that game, he cleaned up left-hander Ishan Kishan with a brutal delivery. Can he produce something similar against Sharma?
2. Robin Uthappa vs Bhuvneshwar Kumar: The two veterans of Indian cricket will be up against each other when CSK face SRH. After an impressive start to IPL 2022, Chennai opener Robin Uthappa’s tournament has gone downwards. In his last three games, he has scored 3, 30 and 1. The senior opener will be keen to rediscover his form. SRH pacer Bhuvneshwar Kumar has had a decent tournament. He has claimed key wickets while keeping things tight. Uthappa will definitely be a big wicket for SRH. If Bhuvi can get him early, Hyderabad can put Chennai under pressure.
3. Umran Malik vs Shivam Dube: Hyderabadmay have gone down to Gujarat in their previous game, but pacer Umran Malik was absolutely sensational. He ran through the top and middle-order and claimed a brilliant five-wicket haul. Malik’s pace was so good for the GT batters that four of his five wickets were bowled. The other wicket he claimed, that of Gujarat skipper Hardik Pandya, came with a well-directed short ball.Shivam Dube is someone who can take on Malik. He has the aggression to attack fast bowling. It won’t be easy against the fast bowler. Can Dube be the man to unsettle Malik?
4. Ambati Rayudu vs Washington Sundar: Even as CSK struggled in the chase against Punjab, one man kept them alive. Ambati Rayudu hit some breathtaking strokes to score a half-century of the tallest order. Had he stayed on a while longer in the match, he could have taken them over the line. At the same time, the fact that they got close was itself due to Rayudu’s brilliance. Against SRH, he could be up against off-spinner Washington Sundar in the middle overs. Sundar will look to tie down Rayudu and frustrate him with his tight line and length. Will he succeed?
5. Aiden Markram vs Dwayne Bravo: Aiden Markram has played the role of a finisher in an excellent manner for SRH. He has come in and thumped the ball with disdain. His scores in the last three innings read 68 not out, 41 not out and 56. He will be high on confidence when he goes into bat against CSK as the ball is hitting the middle of his bat. He won’t expect to have it easy against Dwayne Bravo though. The Chennai veteran has been the team’s most effective bowler. There is still some fight left in the old lion. Can he fox Markram with his superb death-overs skills?
–Renin Wilben Albert