The Lucknow Super Giants (LSG) will face the Rajasthan Royals (RR) in game 63 of the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2022 at the Brabourne Stadium in Mumbai on Sunday. This will be the second game of the double-header. Both Lucknow and Rajasthan are in the top half of the IPL 2022 points table. Lucknow are second with 16 points from 12 matches, while Rajasthan are third with 14 points from 12 games. If Lucknow win on Sunday, they should be through to the playoffs. If Rajasthan triumph, they will get closer to achieving the task. LSG had a forgettable last game, as they crumbled to 82 all out against the Gujarat Titans (GT). They will be keen to lift themselves. RR have lost three of their last four games. In their last match against the Delhi Capitals (DC), they were below par with bat and ball, going down by eight wickets. Here are five player battles in the LSG vs RR clash.
1. KL Rahu vs Trent Boult: LSG skipper KL Rahul was dismissed cheaply in the last match, and, eventually, the team’s batting got exposed. Rahul has been in sublime form for the majority of the tournament, and he will look to play the lead role again as his side looks to clinch a playoff spot. A good knock from him will go a long way in achieving that dream. In the last couple of games, Trent Boult has been slowly hitting his stride again. The left-arm seamer would be aware that the team depends on his experience to deliver the early strikes. Can he produce a beauty to get rid of Rahul early?
2. Jos Buttler vs Mohsin Khan: RR have struggled a bit recently because Jos Buttler hasn’t got the big runs in the last couple of matches. With Rajasthan yet to secure their playoff berth, they would want Buttler to get back among the runs. Given the significance of the encounter against LSG, Buttler would be keen to come up with a good knock. He will face a challenge from Mohsin Khan at the start. The left-arm pacer has been a surprise success story for LSG. He has run in hard, hit the hard lengths and has been rewarded handsomely. Can he stand up to the Buttler challenge, though?
3. Deepak Hooda vs Yuzvendra Chahal: Deepak Hooda has done an excellent job for LSG at the No. 3 position. Coming in early most times with a wicket falling early, he has contributed 34, 52, 41 and 27 in the last four matches. And, but for the last match in which they were in a precarious position, Hooda has got his runs at a good pace. He likes taking on the spinners. But RR leggie Yuzvendra Chahal will be keen to fight back after being taken apart from the Delhi Capitals (DC) in the last game. Expect an interesting battle here.
4. Sanju Samson vs Ravi Bishnoi: RR skipper Sanju Samson has not quite played that big innings in IPL 2022. But he has not looked out of touch. In fact, he has struck the ball from the middle of the bat. Samson has played a few useful cameos for the team. Can he convert a start into a big one, though? The Rajasthan captain has had his struggles against the leg-spin. Ravi Bishnoi is expected to come into the playing XI for Sunday’s match. The LSG leggie is a decent bowler who can upset the best batters on his day. Who will get on top in this battle?
5. Marcus Stoinis vs Prasidh Krishna: At the death, Marcus Stoinis and Prasidh Krishna, up against each other, promise an exciting battle. Both players are unpredictable. If it is their day, they will be the best in the business. If not, they can be quite pedestrian. Considering the last few overs matter a lot, both players will be keen to bring out their A game. The question is, who will?