The Lucknow Super Giants (LSG) will meet the Delhi Capitals (DC) in game number 15 of the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2022 at the DY Patil Stadium in Navi Mumbai on Thursday. Lucknow have won two of their first three games. After losing to the Gujarat Titans (GT) in the first match, they recovered to beat the Chennai Super Kings (CSK) by six wickets and the Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) by 12 runs. Delhi have had a mixed start to their IPL 2022 campaign. They were inconsistent against the Mumbai Indians (MI) but ended up clinching the game in the end. Against Gujarat, though, they were poor with both bat and ball. Here are five player battles to watch out for in LSG vs DC clash.
1. KL Rahul vs Mustafizur Rahman: LSG skipper KL Rahul has lifted his game after a first-ball duck against Gujarat. He has scored 40 and 68 in his two recent innings. However, his strike rate has been a concern, which he will be keen to address against Delhi. Rahul gets off to a fluent start but then has a tendency to slow down. Also, he has had his issues against left-arm seamers in the past. Delhi will thus look to counter him with Mustafizur Rahman at the start of the innings. If Rahman can send him back early, Delhi can put pressure on Lucknow’s batting line-up.
2. David Warner vs Avesh Khan: The DC vs LSG clash will mark the return of David Warner to the Delhi camp. With the April 6 NOC for Australian players, Warner is now eligible to turn out for his former franchise once again. The Aussie opener had a torrid season last year with the Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH). He was sacked as captain and player as well. He will definitely come in with a point to prove. At the start of the innings, Warner will be up against Avesh Khan. The Lucknow pacer was brilliant in the team’s last match against Hyderabad, claiming key wickets at the start and towards the end. A contest to watch out for.
3. Evin Lewis vs Kuldeep Yadav: LSG left-hander Evin Lewis was brilliant in the match against Chennai. His brutal fifty won them the match from a difficult position. However, he struggled in the other two games. The batter is talented, but his consistency has always been an issue. He also has problems against spinners. In the last game, he failed to read Washington Sundar. After playing a missing a few balls, he fell to the off-spinner’s guile. Kuldeep Yadav will fancy his chances against Lewis. The left-arm spinner will be high on confidence after a successful start to IPL 2022. He can unsettle Lewis with his variations.
4. Rishabh Pant vs Ravi Bishnoi: DC captain Rishabh Pant will want to make a mark on the tournament as a better captain. The attacking left-hander looks in decent form but hasn’t been able to play the big knocks in the first two matches. After falling cheaply against Mumbai, he got 43 against Gujarat before playing a poor stroke to get out. Everyone is aware of Pant’s tendency to take on spinners. He will either slam them out of the park or get out playing a poor stroke. Leg-spinner Ravi Bishnoi is someone who can fox Pant into playing the big shot. He has come across as a smart operator. Pant will take him on. Let’s see who wins the battle.
5. Deepak Hooda vs Shardul Thakur: This will be an interesting one. If Hooda comes in at the death, which is most likely to be the case, he will be up against Shardul Thakur. Now, the DC pacer has just not looked himself in the IPL so far. He has been expensive in both games. But, everyone knows Thakur’s capability. He will be keen to prove a point against LSG. Hooda, though has been in great form and would look to assert his dominance over the pacer.