The Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) will meet the Lucknow Super Giants (LSG) in game 66 of the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2022 at the DY Patil Stadium in Navi Mumbai on Wednesday. Kolkata have been victorious in their recent two matches. Still, with only 12 points from 13 games, they will have to beat LSG by a big margin. They will also need the other results to go in their favor to find a place in the Top 4. Lucknow have 16 points after 13 matches. They are all but through. But since DC and RCB are on 14 points with one game in hand, LSG will want to win Wednesday’s match and confirm their place in the playoffs. Lucknow have gone down in their last two matches. That is something they will be wary of. Here are five player battles in the KKR-LSG clash
1. Venkatesh Iyer vs Mohsin Khan: Since returning to the playing XI, Venkatesh Iyer has looked in decent touch for Kolkata. He has decided to play aggressive cricket, which has been his forte in his short IPL career. With the do-or-die situation that they are in, KKR would be hoping for a significant knock from Iyer. If he gets off to a flyer, the franchise’s batting looks a lot more threatening. Mohsin Khan has been the surprise success story for LSG in IPL 2022. Coming into the playing XI as an injury replacement, he has been so efficient that Lucknow have not dropped him since. He had a rare off day in the last match against Rajasthan, and the team suffered. Can he lift his game in the key match and send back Iyer early?
2. KL Rahul vs Umesh Yadav: LSG skipper KL Rahul vs KKR lead pacer Umesh Yadav has all the makings of being the contest of the match. After a brilliant start, Rahul has lost his rhythm with the bat. In fact, in the last five matches, barring the 77 against Delhi, he has registered scores of 6, 0, 8 and 10. Being the captain of the ship, Rahul will need to do better in the remaining games. Yadav made a brilliant start to IPL 2022, had a mid-season blip but has now rediscovered his rhythm. In almost every game, he has got a crucial early scalp. In LSG, there is no bigger name than Rahul.
3. Shreyas Iyer vs Ravi Bishnoi: KKR skipper Shreyas Iyer has had a mixed run in IPL 2022. He has played some fantastic knocks and some poor ones as well. Significantly, Shreyas has been troubled by bouncers and leg-spinners as well. He has gotten out to the short ball numerous times. Also, leggies Yuzvendra Chahal and Wanindu Hasaranga have successfully gotten him out. Ravi Bishnoi may not be in the same league as Chahal and Hasaranga. However, he definitely has the talent to produce wicket-taking deliveries.
4. Deepak Hooda vs Sunil Narine: In the last couple of matches, Deepak Hooda has been the lone warrior for LSG as their batting has crumbled. In fact, in the last five games, his scores have read 34, 52, 41, 27, and 59. Lucknow would hope he can carry on the great run against KKR as well. Hooda likes taking on spinners. Sunil Narine proved a little expensive by his standards in the last match. He will be confident of returning to usual business. However, this could be an interesting battle if Hooda gets it right.
5. Andre Russell vs Jason Holder: KKR all-rounder Andre Russell has been in supreme big-hitting form. He has struck fours and sixes at will even as the others have blown hot and cold. Russell will be the dangerman. Jason Holder can either be brilliant at death or expensive. If he gets it right, he can end Russell’s stay. If not, he can go for plenty. Which Holder will turn up on Wednesday is the question.