The Delhi Capitals (DC) will face the Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) in game 50 of the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2022 at the Brabourne Stadium in Mumbai on Thursday. Delhi are down at number seven in the points table, with only four wins from nine matches. They have lost three of their last five games. Hyderabad too have slipped a bit. After five consecutive wins, they have lost their last two games. They are in fifth place with 10 points. In their last match, Delhi lost to the Lucknow Super Giants (LSG) by 6 runs. They gave away 195 runs and could not chase the target. Hyderabad’s bowlers conceded 202 against the Chennai Super Kings (CSK), claiming only two wickets. They too failed to chase the target. Here are five player battles to watch out for in DC vs SRH clash.
1. David Warner vs Umran Malik: What a mouth-watering battle in the offing. For obvious reasons, David Warner will have a point to prove against the Sunrisers. He was responsible for creating the legend of the franchise with some memorable performances over the years. However, last season, he was sacked as captain first and then dropped as a player. Since, Warner has made a spectacular return to form. He will be raring to have a go at SRH. Hyderabad will look to unleash Umran Malik on Warner. After a five-wicket haul, the youngster saw the flip side of pace as he was battered in the last game. Can he regather himself?
2. Abhishek Sharma vs Chetan Sakariya: The clash of the young guns. Abhishek Sharma has been in fantastic form for SRH at the top of the order. Even as Kane Williamson has blown hot and cold, Abhishek has given the team consistently good starts. He has been fluent and had a big role to play in Hyderabad’s five-match winning streak. Chetan Sakariya went wicketless in the last game but made an impressive debut against KKR, cleaning up Aaron Finch with a beauty. Can he produce a beauty to send back Abhishek cheaply?
3. Rishabh Pant vs Marco Jansen: DC skipper Rishabh Pant will be under big pressure to deliver. His team is in massive trouble and if they don’t lift themselves from here, they could end up being eliminated before the playoffs. The real Pant will need to stand up for Delhi. SRH pacer Marco Jansen will also be feeling the pressure. After that three-wicket over against RCB, things have gone downwards for the bowler. He was hammered by Rashid Khan in the last over as GT pulled off a stunning win. He went wicketless against CSK as well. Can Jansen lift himself?
4. Rahul Tripathi vs Kuldeep Yadav: SRH batter Rahul Tripathi had a rare failure in the last game as he fell for a first-ball duck to Mukesh Choudhary. He will thus be keen to get back to what he does best – score runs and score them quickly. He has played some terrific knocks for Hyderabad and his performance will be crucial for them again. Left-arm spinner Kuldeep Yadav will be a big threat for SRH. They would want the expertise of Tripathi to deal with it. The batter can unsettle Yadav by chipping down the track. Alternately, the spinner could outfox him.
5. Rovman Powell vs T Natarajan: After a poor start, Rovman Powell has taken off. He has played some amazing cameos, but only one has come in a winning cause. Still, he would be motivated to carry on his great work with the willow. If he plays for long enough, he could make a huge difference. At the death, T Natarajan can be lethal if he gets his yorkers right. This is one way to keep Powell quiet. If he fires it in correctly, the left-arm seamer can clean up Powell. Else, he can go the distance.