The Delhi Capitals (DC) will face the Punjab Kings (PBKS) in game 32 of the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2022 at the Brabourne Stadium in Mumbai on Wednesday. The match was scheduled to be held at the Maharashtra Cricket Association (MCA) Stadium in Pune. However, following COVID-19 cases in the Delhi team, the BCCI has decided to conduct the match in Mumbai as a safety measure. DC are at number eight in the points table. They have been inconsistent, winning two and losing three of their five games. They lost to the Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) by 16 runs in their last game. Punjab also have some work to do. They have three wins and three losses from six games. In their last match, they went down to the Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) by seven wickets. Here are five player battles to watch out for in DC vs PBKS clash.
1. Prithvi Shaw vs Vaibhav Arora: DC opener Prithvi Shaw has been in cracking form for the franchise. He smacked back-to-back hundreds against the Lucknow Super Giants (LSG) and the Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR). He had a failure in the last match and will be keen to get back among the runs. When Shaw strikes, he will just go berserk and get the team off to a great start. He would be looking to do the same against PBKS as well. After an impressive start, Vaibhav Arora has not been able to make much of an impact. The pacer would be keen to prove that he is not a one-match wonder. Shaw will be aware that Arora will be under pressure and will try to use the situation to his advantage.
2. Shikhar Dhawan vs Khaleel Ahmed: PBKS opener Shikhar Dhawan had a poor outing against Hyderabad as stand-in skipper. He failed with the bat and was not very impressive leading the side as well. Whether or not he remains captain for the game against Delhi, Dhawan will be keen to come up with the goods with the willow in hand. He scored a fluent 70 against the Mumbai Indians (MI), but that apart he hasn’t done much of note, failing to convert starts. Left-arm seamer Khaleel Ahmed has been highly impressive for DC. He has claimed eight wickets in the last four matches that he has played, including 3 for 25 against the Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR). Can he knock over Dhawan early?
3. Rishabh Pant vs Rahul Chahar: DC skipper Rishabh Pant has been struggling for form. He is spending decent time at the crease, but the fluency is just not coming. Having said that, don’t expect Pant to change his game. He will look to attack the bowling. And the way Dewald Brevis went after Rahul Chahar, the southpaw will also look to do the same. Of course, it won’t be an easy task. Chahar is a very smart bowler. He would have learnt his lessons and will be keen to implement the same against Pant.
4. Liam Livingstone vs Kuldeep Yadav: Liam Livingstone has been in terrific form for Punjab. He has cracked three 60s in the last four games. Even in the last match, he was the only one who looked in great touch. DC will have to get rid of Livingstone early. If he gets set, he will punish the bowlers for sure. Left-arm spinner Kuldeep Yadav will be in operation in the middle-overs. He has been one of the best on show this season. Like he did with Shreyas Iyer, he will look to tease Livingstone out of his crease and outfox him. Will the England dasher be up for the challenge?
5. Shardul Thakur vs Arshdeep Singh: Coming in at the death overs, Shardul Thakur has played some impressive cameos, striking the ball cleanly. If the platform is set, Delhi will again send in Thakur to get the big hits at the end. He will face a massive challenge from Arshdeep Singh, though. The PBKS left-arm seamer has given nothing away and has been absolutely brilliant with his yorkers at the death. Will Thakur be able to crack the Arshdeep code?