The Delhi Capitals (DC) will take on the Lucknow Super Giants (LSG) in game 45 of the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2022 at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai on Sunday. This will be the first match of the double-header. Lucknow are well placed in third position, with six wins and three losses after nine matches. Delhi are in sixth place, having won four and lost four. In their last game, Delhi defeated Kolkata by four wickets. Kuldeep Yadav’s four-fer restricted them to 146 for 9. Lucknow’s last match saw them get the better of Punjab Kings (PBKS) by 20 runs. The batters put up a below-par score, but the bowlers shone, with Krunal Pandya coming up with a match-winning spell. Here are five player battles to watch out for in DC vs LSG clash.
1. David Warner vs Avesh Khan: DC opener David Warner has continued his impressive run in IPL 2022. In the last match as well, his knock laid the foundation for Delhi’s win after Prithvi Shaw fell early. Warner has looked in complete control of his innings every time he has come out to the middle. He will look to carry on his great form. However, he is due for a failure and Avesh Khan will try and make the law of averages work in LSG’s favor. He has bowled some terrific deliveries to get batters out. Can he produce one to get the better of Warner early?
2. Quinton de Kock vs Chetan Sakariya: After a string of low scores, LSG opener Quinton de Kock found some form with his 46 off 37 against Punjab. His knock ensured the team could post a decent total of 150. De Kock will like to build on the form and make an even bigger score in the match against Delhi. Chetan Sakariya has an uncanny habit of picking an early wicket in his spell. In the match against KKR, he bowled Aaron Finch with an inswinger that cleaned up the batter. Sakariya is adept at getting the ball to move. He will be keen to produce a good delivery against De Kock as well.
3. Rishabh Pant vs Krunal Pandya: DC skipper Rishabh Pant has had a very poor tournament with the bat. His inconsistent run has meant that Delhi find themselves jostling for points in the middle of the table. Pant has looked good a couple of times but has not been able to go on and make the big score. Every time he has looked good, he has found ways to get out. Krunal Pandya has been fantastic with the ball in the last two games. He has given nothing away but has picked up key wickets. Pant will still look to attack him. Who will end up on top in this contest?
4. Marcus Stoinis vs Kuldeep Yadav: After a sizzling cameo in a losing cause against the Rajasthan Royals, Marcus Stoinis has not quite come to the party for LSG. He has been dismissed for 0 and 1 in the last two matches. The Aussie all-rounder will be keen to make an impact against Delhi. If he is in during the middle overs, Stoinis will face a massive challenge from Kuldeep Yadav, who has been in supreme form. The batter has his issues against spin bowling. Kuldeep will be looking to exploit the same.
5. Rovman Powell vs Dushmantha Chameera: After a poor start, Rovman Powell has been in excellent big-hitting form in the last two games. He won the match for Delhi against KKR with his impressive cameo that featured three sixes. Powell will want to continue playing such cameos for the team. And if he can convert them into bigger scores, time permitting, even better. Dushmantha Chameera has a habit of dismissing dangermen with his yorkers and pacy deliveries. Can he come up with a brute for Powell?