The Chennai Super Kings (SRH) will take on the Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) in match number 17 of the Indian Premier League (IPL) at the DY Patil Stadium in Navi Mumbai on Saturday, in the day game of a double header. CSK have had a horror start to their IPL 2022 campaign. It all began with a loss to the Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) by six wickets. In subsequent matches, they have also gone down to Lucknow Super Giants (LSG) by six wickets and the Punjab Kings (PBKS) by 54 runs. SRH too have not made a great start. Their season began with a 61-run loss to the Rajasthan Royals (RR), after which they went down to LSG as well. Here are five player battles to watch out for in CSK vs SRH match.
1. Robin Uthappa vs Umran Malik: CSK opener Robin Uthappa has looked the most comfortable of all batters for the franchise this season. He hammered a quickfire 28 against KKR and followed it up with a blazing 50 against LSG. Uthappa was dismissed cheaply against PBKS. However, every time he has come out to bat with intent and has looked in control. With Ruturaj Gaikwad struggling, CSK will want Uthappa to come good again. At the other end, SRH fast bowler Umran Malik will be steaming in. The pacer has proved a bit expensive. However, he can still make an impact with raw pace. Malik would like to strike early and dislodge Uthappa to give his side the early advantage.
2. Kane Williamson vs Chris Jordan: SRH skipper Kane Williamson will have a massive role to play if the team has to recover from a poor start to their IPL campaign. He has looked under pressure and has not been able to deliver. After being dismissed for 2 against RR, he fell for 16 against LSG, looking to get too cheeky. Williamson has all the strokes in the book to score quickly, but mentally he seems under the pump. Chris Jordan may be a death overs specialist, but considering CSK’s lack of options, he will have to be used at the start as well. He is known for his yorkers and if he can slip one under Williamson’s bat early, it will be a big advantage for CSK.
3. Shivam Dube vs T Natarajan: CSK all-rounder Shivam Dube may have struggled with the ball, but he has been impressive with the bat, doing a good finisher’s role. Dube has been able to get the big hits in the end overs. In CSK’s last game, he gave the innings some stability after a horror start. He will look to continue the good work. At the death, he will be up against T Natarajan. The left-arm seamer is slowly beginning to find his groove. As Dube tries to get the big hits, the bowler will look to stop him with block-hole deliveries.
4. Nicholas Pooran vs Dwaine Pretorius: SRH’s Nicholas Pooran gave glimpses of his capability in the IPL with a decent knock in the last game. Yet again, though, he did not take them over the finish like. He has amazing talent without a doubt, but he needs to start delivering. Can he find his groove against a weak CSK attack? Dwaine Pretorius has been a surprise success story for Chennai. He has not only kept things tight but also picked up wickets. Not exceptionally talented; he knows how to get the job done. Can he knock over Pooran cheaply?
5. Moeen Ali vs Washington Sundar: Moeen Ali has had a mixed start to his IPL 2022 campaign. He followed up his brisk 35 with a duck in the last match. When CSK won last year, the England all-rounder played a key role at three and went after the bowling. He will have to play more than just cameos this season, considering CSK’s weaknesses. Moeen will look to take on Washington Sundar. The SRH off-spinner, however, has some fine tricks up his sleeve and would look to unsettle Moeen. An interesting contest within the battle.