The Chennai Super Kings (CSK) face the Gujarat Titans (GT) in game 62 of the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2022 at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai on Sunday. This will be the first match of the double-header. While Chennai have been knocked out of the playoffs race, they will be keen to finish their campaign on a high. Gujarat, on the other hand, will look to continue their domination at the top of the points table. In their last match, CSK were hammered by the Mumbai Indians as they got bundled out for 97. They will look for a massive improvement in performance. GT continued to impress and took down the Lucknow Super Giants (LSG). After putting up 144 for 4 on a challenging surface, they bundled out LSG for 82 in 13.5 overs. Here are five player battles to watch out for in the CSK vs GT clash.
1. Devon Conway vs Mohammed Shami: Devon Conway was unlucky to have been dismissed for a duck in the last match. The ball from Daniel Sams that struck him on the pads seemed to be heading down the leg. But, with no DRS, the in-form left-hander had to walk back. His early dismissal meant Conway could not add to his three consecutive fifties. He has been in sublime form since making a comeback to the playing XI and would like to get back among the runs against GT. It won’t be easy at the start. Veteran pacer Mohammed Shami has been probing away and has dismissed a number of key openers in the competition. Can he get rid of Conway as well?
2. Wriddhiman Saha vs Mukesh Choudhary: While Shubman Gill got a fine fifty in the last game, it has been his partner Wriddhiman Saha who has been the aggressor at the top. Saha has played some smashing knocks to get Gujarat off to flyers. He will be expected to do the same on Sunday as well. CSK left-arm seamer Mukesh Choudhary, however, will be confident of coming up with a good show himself. After a poor start to IPL 2022, Choudhary has found his groove and has been excellent at the top of the innings. He cannot allow GT to get off to a bright start. And Choudhary can do the needful by sending back Saha cheaply.
3. Shivam Dube vs Rashid Khan: For CSK to do well with the bat against GT, someone will have to take care of Rashid Khan. The leg-spinner will be high on confidence following his four-wicket haul against LSG. He will look to continue his good run with the ball. CSK batter Shivam Dube is someone the team can risk against Rashid. He can be asked to take on Rashid and see how things go. It will be a herculean task for sure. But Dube has shown earlier in the tournament that he can play some fiery knocks.
4. Hardik Pandya vs Maheesh Theekshana: This will be one interesting battle. Hardik Pandya loves taking on spinners. However, the Gujarat captain might be a bit low on confidence as he has registered some failures after a stupendous start to IPL 2022. CSK mystery spinner Maheesh Theekshana has had his moments in the tournament, but he has also had games where he has looked out of sorts. Which bowler turns up on Sunday could determine the result of this battle.
5. Rahul Tewatia vs Dwayne Bravo: The death overs contest could be between the swashbuckling Rahul Tewatia and the dynamic Dwayne Bravo. Tewatia has come in and dominated the bowlers at the death, lifting GT to victory from tough situations more than once. On the other hand, Bravo has also brought all his experience to the fore and has claimed key scalps at the death. A battle of equals, this tussle could have a significant bearing on the match.