The Chennai Super Kings (CSK) will face the Delhi Capitals (DC) in game 55 of the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2022 at the DY Patil Stadium in Navi Mumbai, in the second match of the double-header on Sunday. Chennai are down in ninth place in the IPL 2022 points table. They have won two of their last four games, but their chances of qualification are not great. Delhi have been blowing hot and cold. They have five wins and five losses after 10 games. In their previous match, CSK were defeated by the Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) by 13 runs as they failed to chase 174. As for Delhi, they beat the Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) with ease after posting 207 for 3 batting first. Here are five player battles to watch out for in CSK vs DC clash.
1. Ruturaj Gaikwad vs Anrich Nortje: CSK opener Ruturaj Gaikwad has hit form after a lull. He has looked the part in the last two matches. His 99 against SRH set up the victory for his team and his partnership with Devon Conway is working really well. He was looking good against RCB as well before being dismissed for 28. Gaikwad is a completely different player once he finds his groove and will be keen to make an impact against DC as well. After being dropped for a few matches due to injury-related rustiness, Anrich Nortje did a decent job on his comeback in the last match, picking up a wicket as well. Nortje will now be keen to make a bigger contribution and dismissing Gaikwad early will definitely count as one.
2. David Warner vs Mukesh Choudhary: DC opener David Warner played a brilliant knock against his former franchise SRH in the last match. While many felt it was a revenge innings of sorts, Warner just seemed to go about his business in his usual manner. He has been in great form right through the season and his unbeaten 92 against SRH was a continuation of the same. Warner will be keen to keep scoring big. His battle against CSK seamer Mukesh Choudhary at the start could be an interesting one. Choudhary might go for a few runs, but he has the ability to pick up key wickets as well. Can he produce a beauty to dislodge Warner early?
3. Ambati Rayudu vs Kuldeep Yadav: Ambati Rayudu has not done much apart from one brilliant knock in IPL 2022. Being a senior player, he will be keen to lift his game. Rayudu loves taking on the spinners and he will look to attack Kuldeep Yadav as well. However, it won’t be easy as the left-arm spinner has been at the peak of his powers. He has gone for a few in a couple of matches, but overall Kuldeep has done an incredible job. He will be confident of putting up a fight against Rayudu.
4. Rovman Powell vs Maheesh Theekshana: DC big-hitter Rovman Powell has played a couple of brutal knocks in IPL 2022 so far. He will be expected to continue the same when Delhi come up against Chennai. His power-hitting has been of a different level. However, if he comes up against Maheesh Theekshana, it won’t be easy. The CSK mystery spinner has some wonderful tricks in his bag. Can he unsettle Powell or will it be the other way round?
5. Ravindra Jadeja vs Khaleel Ahmed: Having given up the captaincy, Ravindra Jadeja will be expected to deliver the goods. He needs to come up with at least a cameo with the bat in hand. If he gets a chance, Jadeja will undoubtedly look to strike big. But expect DC to unleash Khaleel Ahmed against him. The left-arm seamer has been brilliant right through the competition and has made an impact at the death as well. He has been right on target with his deliveries. Jadeja will look to put him off his line. Whether he will succeed is the big question.