The postponement will definitely prove costly for the ECB, which gets much of its revenue from men's Test matches.

India’s entire touring party was forced to isolate in its Manchester hotel on Thursday and cancel its last pre-match practice after assistant physiotherapist Yogesh Parmar was the latest person to test positive for the virus. India coach Ravi Shastri, bowling coach Bharath Arun, fielding coach Ramakrishnan Sridhar and main physio Nitin Patel had already tested positive and were isolating back in London.

“I have a lot of sympathy with the Indian players as they’ve had two physios (test positive) and the second one would have been treating all the players with some sore bodies ahead of a fifth test match,” said former England captain Nasser Hussain, who works for British broadcaster Sky Sports.

The threat of cancelling the match appeared to recede when a fresh round of COVID-19 testing among the remaining members of the India squad came back negative on Thursday evening.

“The BCCI has always maintained that the safety and wellbeing of the players is of paramount importance and there will be no comprised on that aspect,” the body said.

“The BCCI would like to thank the ECB for their cooperation and understanding in these trying times.”

Casting a shadow over any attempts to reschedule the match is the lucrative Indian Premier League, which features players from both teams and is resuming on Sept. 19 in the United Arab Emirates.

The postponement will definitely prove costly for the ECB, which gets much of its revenue from men’s test matches and could be down a further 20 million pounds ($27.7 million) with no test at Old Trafford, and also English county Lancashire, which misses out on a test match and is not staging one next year when New Zealand and South Africa visit.

Leave a comment