Indian Premier League (IPL) 2020 finalists Delhi Capitals have assembled a prolific squad in the 2022 mega auction last weekend. The Capitals, who have been far more consistent of late, will be aiming to pocket a maiden IPL trophy. They have a quality think tank in terms of management, with head coach Ricky Ponting offering value. Moreover, they have a young leader in Rishabh Pant, and his contributions will be key in the upcoming season. This article looks at DC’s possible XI, which could be fielded regularly.
The players’ DC had retained
With the IPL set to be a 10-team affair, the existing teams had an opportunity to retain at least four players ahead of the auction. The Capitals retained the likes of Rishabh Pant for Rs 16 crore, Axar Patel for Rs 9 crore, Prithvi Shaw for Rs 7.5 crore, and SA pacer Anrich Nortje for Rs 6.5 crore.
Key picks for DC in the IPL 2022 auction
DC had a sound IPL 2022 auction. They went to pay a whopping sum of Rs 10.75 crore for former Chennai Super Kings pacer Shardul Thakur. The Indian cricketer has picked up 67 IPL wickets at 27.86. He played a key role in helping CSK win the title last season. The best deal for DC came in the form of David Warner. The former Sunrisers Hyderabad ace was a marquee buy for Rs 6.5 crore. He had earlier represented Delhi before joining SRH. Australian all-rounder Mitchell Marsh was another buy as they replaced the outgoing Marcus Stoinis, paying Rs 6.50 crore. Mustafizur Rahman of Bangladesh was another notable buy. He is well experienced and can fill the void left by Kagiso Rabada.
A look at DC’s complete squad
Rishabh Pant, Axar Patel, Prithvi Shaw, Anrich Nortje, David Warner, Mitchell Marsh, Shardul Thakur, Mustafizur Rahman, Kuldeep Yadav, Ashwin Hebbar, Sarfaraz Khan, KS Bharat, Kamlesh Nagarkoti, Mandeep Singh, Khaleel Ahmed, Chetan Sakariya, Lalit Yadav, Ripal Patel, Yash Dhull, Rovman Powell, Pravin Dubey, Lungi Ngidi, Tim Seifert
What can be DC’s playing XI?
1) David Warner: The Aussie international can be a massive force upfront. The southpaw has 5,449 runs in the IPL at 41.59. He is the only player with 50 half-centuries. Warner has also slammed two tons. His experience can help DC set the right platform.
2) Prithvi Shaw: DC retained Shaw, and he will open the batting alongside Warner. Shaw can be prolific with this aggressive nature and knack for finding the gaps. The youngster has mustered 1,305 runs at 24.62. He enjoyed his best IPL season in 2021, hammering 479 runs. He has 10 IPL fifties.
3) KS Bharat: The promising Indian wicket-keeper showed his mettle for Royal Challengers Bangalore last season. He made his IPL debut in 2021 and hammered 191 runs at 38.20. He can be a vital character at number three and look to be busy in terms of contribution.
4) Rishabh Pant: Skipper Pant is a major force for DC at number four. His runs in the middle can help DC going in the middle overs and at the death. Pant has scored a total of 2,498 runs at 35.18. He has been quite consistent of late and scored 419 runs last season at 34.91.
5) Rovman Powell: The West Indian cricketer was bought for Rs 2.8 crore. He adds to the middle-order of DC and can be a player to watch out for. He has managed 1,773 runs in T20 cricket at 22.73. He is a regular feature for WI of late.
6) Mitchell Marsh: The Aussie all-rounder can help DC with his all-round exploits. Marsh can be looked up to as someone who can play the big shots and score quickly. He is athletic on the field and has a good record in T20 cricket. He has 3,241 T20 runs and 66 wickets.
7) Axar Patel: Another player who was retained by the Capitals. The left-arm spinner brings in a lot of value with his all-round skills. The bowling all-rounder claimed 15 wickets last season. Overall, he has claimed 95 scalps, besides scoring 953 runs.
8) Shardul Thakur: The Indian pacer is DC’s mega signing of the auction. Shardul has shown a lot of pedigree of late. He is rising to become a vital all-rounder with key components improved in batting. He helps DC go with the extra bowling option and add firepower as a finisher.
9) Lalit Yadav: DC will use Lalit as the second spinner alongside Axar. He is a decent player with the bat as well. Lalit made his debut last season and scored 68 runs. He chipped in with four scalps at 25.25. We might see Lalit more this season.
10) Anrich Nortje: The South African fast bowler impressed largely in his debut IPL season in 2020, claiming 22 wickets. He followed that up with another 12 in IPL 2021. Nortje has enjoyed himself with pace and accuracy. He will lead the DC attack.
11) Chetan Sakariya: DC did well by picking up left-arm pacer Chetan Sakariya. He made a big impression for the Rajasthan Royals in IPL 2021. He claimed 14 wickets for RR in his debut IPL season, showing great composure and character. He can be an able support for Nortje and Thakur.