Indian Premier League (IPL) outfit Rajasthan Royals have assembled one of the best squads on offer in the recently concluded mega auction. RR have been a talking point for one and all; given the quality of players, they managed to pull off. They closed the auction in a sublime manner, picking four players in a few minutes. RR boasts of IPL’s most sorted performers, and we can expect something big from the side this term around.
RR got players like R Ashwin and Yuzvendra Chahal in cut-price deals. This combination is perhaps the best this season in the IPL. The pace department gets an experienced name such as Trent Boult. The Sanju Samson-led side has what it takes to give teams a run for their money.
RR will hope to get the right balance, and good performances on the field could make them a difficult side to tear down.
The players RR had retained
With the IPL set to be a 10-team affair, the existing teams had an opportunity to retain at least four players ahead of the auction. The Royals went on to retain the likes of Sanju Samson (14 crore), Jos Buttler (10 crore), and Yashasvi Jaiswal (4 crore).
Key picks for RR in the IPL 2022 auction
RR went on to have a sound IPL auction. They got the veteran spinner in Ashwin for Rs 5 crore. Shimron Hetmyer was roped in for Rs 8.25 crore. They also got the promising Devdutt Paddikal for Rs 7.50 crore. Prasidh Krishna and Yuzvendra Chahal were other notable buys for RR.
A look at RR’s’ complete squad:
A look at RR’s complete squad: Sanju Samson, Yashasvi Jaiswal and Jos Buttler, R Ashwin, Trent Boult, Shimron Hetmyer, Devdutt Padikkal, Prasidh Krishna, Yuzvendra Chahal, Riyan Parag, KC Cariappa, Navdeep Saini, Obed McCoy, Anunay Singh, Kuldeep Sen, Karun Nair, Dhruv Jurel, Tejas Baroka, Kuldip Yadav, Shubham Garhwal, James Neesham, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Rassie van der Dussen, Daryl Mitchell
What can be PBKS’ playing XI?
1) Jos Buttler: The Englishman can take the game away in a flash, and a lot will revolve around the starts he could provide. Buttler has 1,968 runs at 35.14. He has 11 fifties and a century. He scored 254 runs last season, having played just seven games. Buttler is RR’s best batsman.
2) Yashasvi Jaiswal: The youngster is someone RR have a lot of trust on. Yashasvi impressed one and all with his classy shot-making last season. He has plenty to learn, though, but the confidence shown is remarkable. He scored 249 runs last season for RR (10 games).
3) Devdutt Padikkal: The young Padikkal used to open for RCB since making his debut in 2020. However, he could be rotated here. The southpaw brings a lot of finesse with his batting. He has the attributes in finding the gaps, and the elegance is something notable. Padikkal has scored 884 IPL runs at 31.57.
4) Sanju Samson: The RR skipper needs no introduction in what he can provide as a batsman and a leader. Samson will need to shoulder the responsibility of scoring heavily for RR. His runs could make an impact. An aggressive batter, Samson has amassed 3,068 runs in the IPL. He enjoyed his best season in 2021 (484 runs).
5) Rassie van der Dussen: The South African middle-order star could bring the desired quality for RR. He has a knack of scoring important runs on a consistent basis. Rassie will hope to make a sound debut in the IPL. He has 933 runs in T20Is at 38.88. He also averages 74.53 in ODI cricket for SA.
6) Shimron Hetmyer: The southpaw brings plenty of finesse in RR’s middle-order, which was missing in recent seasons. Hetmyer brings solidity in the ranks, and his aggressive knocks could help RR a lot. He scored 242 runs last season for DC, and RR will expect more for the talented player.
7) R Ashwin: The veteran Indian ace holds an important role in this side. His experience will benefit several youngsters. Ash is the bowling all-rounder, and his exploits with the ball could benefit RR massively. He has 145 scalps under his belt.
8) Trent Boult: The Kiwi international will lead RR’s pace unit. Boult has done well for the likes of MI, DC, SRH and KKR in the past. His accuracy, variations and yorkers will trouble the batters. Boult is an excellent swing bowler and has a good pace to back himself. He has taken 76 IPL wickets so far.
9) Yuzvendra Chahal: The former RCB man was a consistent force, and RR getting him gives them a superb spin option on offer. Chahal was a steal at his price, and he could compliment Ashwin. A genuine middle-overs bowler, Chahal can get the desired wickets at crucial junctures.
10) Prasidh Krishna: The tall pacer had an excellent ODI series versus WI. He is someone who can garner good bounce and carry. He will need to be aggressive with his offerings. Despite having a costly economy rate in the IPL, Krishna will use his experience of late to come good. He can make a difference.
11) Navdeep Saini: The former RCB bowler adds more depth to this RR side. He will be crucial in a three-man pace department. Saini has a genuine pace and needs to now be consistent in order to make his presence felt. He has taken 17 IPL wickets so far. He didn’t get much game time last season.