The Indian Premier League (IPL) 2022 is all set to take place from March 26 to May 29. The league will kick-off with a rematch of last year’s final as Chennai Super Kings (CSK) take on Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai. The league matches of the 2022 edition will be played across four venues in Mumbai and Pune. 70 league games will be held, followed by four playoff matches. A few players have featured in every edition of the IPL played so far. Here’s a look.
1. MS Dhoni: Chennai Super Kings have been captained by Dhoni since the inaugural edition in 2008. He has led the franchise to four wins, the latest being in 2021. As a player, Dhoni has played 220 matches and has smashed 4746 runs at an average of 39.55 and a strike rate of 135.83. In addition, he has 23 fifties to his name. In the two seasons that CSK were banned (2016-2017), Dhoni represented Rising Pune Supergiant. At 40, he will again turn out for CSK this season.
2. Rohit Sharma: Mumbai Indians (MI) captain Rohit Sharma represented Deccan Chargers (DC) in the first three seasons of the IPL. In fact, he even won the title with DC in 2009. After shifting to MI, he took over the captaincy in 2013 and remains the leader to date. Rohit is the most successful IPL captain, having led the team to five title wins. As a batter, the right-hander has 5611 runs to his name from 213 matches at an average of 31.17 and a strike rate of 130.39. He is among the few batters with 5000-plus IPL runs.
3. Virat Kohli: The former India captain is the only player in the history of the IPL to turn out for the same franchise in every edition from 2008 to 2021. He made his debut for Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) in 2008 and remains with them even now. Although RCB did not win the IPL with him as captain, they made the final in 2016 and have reached the playoffs in the last two seasons. Kohli is the only batter with 6000 IPL runs. He has 6283 runs from 207 matches at an average of 37.39 and a strike rate of 129.94 with 5 hundreds and 42 fifties.
4. Shikhar Dhawan: The senior Indian opener is the second-leading run-getter in the IPL. He has 5784 runs from 192 matches at an average of 34.84 and a strike rate of 126.64 with 2 hundreds and 44 fifties. Over the years, Shikhar Dhawan has represented multiple franchises – Delhi, Mumbai, Deccan and Sunrisers. He holds the record for being the only batter to strike consecutive hundreds in the IPL. This season, he will be representing Punjab Kings.
5. AB de Villiers: Once IPL 2022 gets underway, AB de Villiers will no longer feature in this list as the South African legend has retired from all forms of the game. De Villiers represented Delhi from 2008 to 2010, but after shifting to RCB in 2011, his career changed. He tasted unprecedented success at the franchise and played some incredible knocks. ABD finished his IPL career with 5162 runs in 184 matches at an average of 39.70 and a strike rate of 151.68. He hit three hundreds and 40 fifties.
6. Dinesh Karthik: Indian wicketkeeper-batter Dinesh Karthik has also been a constant presence in the IPL. He has played 213 matches and has 4046 runs to his name at an average of 25.77 and a strike rate of 129.72. Karthik has 19 fifties to his name. Karthik has represented Delhi, Punjab, Mumbai, Bangalore, Gujarat Lions and Kolkata in the IPL. For the 2022 season, he will be back with RCB.
7. Robin Uthappa: The Indian batter is also a veteran in the IPL. Robin Uthappa began his career with Mumbai, then shifted to Bangalore and Pune. His most successful stint was with KKR from 2014 to 2019. He was a part of the team that won the IPL in 2014. Uthappa represented Rajasthan in 2020 before moving to CSK in 2021 and making crucial contributions in the playoffs. Chennai retained him at the IPL 2022 auction.
8. Amit Mishra: The highest wicket-taker among Indians in the IPL, Amit Mishra’s name too won’t feature in the list after the 2022 season as he went unsold. The 39-year-old leggie has turned out for Delhi, Deccan and Hyderabad in the IPL. He was with Delhi before being released. The veteran cricketer has 166 wickets to his credit from 154 matches at an average of 23.97 and an economy rate of 7.35. Mishra is the only bowler with three IPL hat-tricks.
9. Manish Pandey: Indian batter Manish Pandey has also featured in every IPL season from 2008 till date. Pandey started his career with MI moved to RCB, Pune, KKR and SRH. He was the man of the match in 2014 IPL final when KKR defeated Punjab Kings in a high-scoring encounter. He hammered 94 off 50 as Kolkata chased down a target of 200. Pandey hasn’t been able to replicate that success. The 32-year-old has 3560 runs from 154 matches at an average of 30.68 and a strike rate of 121.83. This season he will represent Lucknow Super Giants.
10. Piyush Chawla: Like Amit Mishra, another Indian leggie Piyush Chawla’s name too won’t feature on the list from next year as he also went unsold at the IPL auction in February. Chawla represented Punjab from 2008 to 2013 and was with KKR from 2014 to 2019. He joined Chennai in 2020 and was subsequently picked by MI last year. But, this time, he found no takers. Chawla has 157 wickets from 165 matches at an average of 27.39 and an economy rate of 7.88.