Ahead of the limited-overs series against England, which starts with the first Twenty20 international in Cape Town on November 27, South Africa head coach Mark Boucher on Thursday revealed that he had been a victim of coronavirus without knowing he had contracted the disease.

An unnamed South African player tested positive for Covid-19 when the South Africans assembled at the Western Cape on Wednesday. He and two other unnamed players have been put under self-isolation.

According to a statement from Cricket South Africa (CSA), all three were asymptomatic, and are being monitored by the CSA medical team. Boucher said he sympathized with the affected players and added that he had been fortunate to have had a mild dose of the disease.

"Sitting alone in a room for six or seven days is very tough. I didn't even know I had it. I felt a little down for one or two days. I had been throwing down to some players in the nets and felt some aches and pains. COVID is bigger than sport," Boucher said.

The 43-year-old reckoned that in line with a call from President Cyril Ramaphosa for a period of mourning, he expected flags to be at half-mast during the first two T20I matches in honor of victims of Covid and gender-based violence and it was possible that players would wear black armbands.

Boucher, however, indicated that it was unlikely players would "take a knee" as they did before a three-team domestic match in July. The former wicketkeeper-batsman said he welcomed the series against England after a bruising winter during which Covid, boardroom battles, and controversy over racism dominated headlines.

Boucher further opined he was happy with the outcome of the camp before adding he was not concerned about being in a "bio-bubble" until the series ends on December 9.

Leave a comment